HAXLR8R is a 111 days startup accelerator program which is focused on providing hardware-based startups from ALL OVER THE WORLD with the appropriate support to deliver their concept into a competitive reality!
During those few weeks, we help teams transform themselves into functional companies by providing mentorship, seed funding and immersion into an intense startup community of like-minded entrepreneurs. At the end of the program teams have the opportunity to present their company to US-based investors during our HAXLR8R DAY.
HAXLR8R S5 will run from July 16th through October 2014, with the last week spent in the Bay area. First stop will be Shenzhen, China, where you will finalize your prototype or work on scaling your business if you have a working model. Each week, you will meet with advisors that will offer feedback on your team’s concepts and prototypes, as well as provide valuable insight about how to scale a company in terms of manufacturing, supply chain management and distribution. The final 2 weeks of the program will be spent on getting your pitches awesome, as you will be heading back to the Valley for the big show. After that, go own your market, wherever that is!
What you get
The main thing we will give you is hands-on help, mentorship and network: lots and lots of advice, expertise and fire in your pants. We have over 60 kick-ass entrepreneurs, industry experts and hands-on folks who are more than willing to share their invaluable knowledge and experiences with you. We have a product designer, a designer and a sourcing specialist at your disposal. You have full access to the folks running the program (Cyril and our tech advisors - Zach and Bunnie). We will also provide you with some seed capital ($25,000 per company) and some freebies, while making sure you find a temporary home wherever you go. Of course you get to access our fully-equipped workspace for you and the other teams, where we’ll be making doughnuts. Ultimately and if you survived the China experience, you will have the opportunity to demo your product to a group of investors in San Francisco.
Why would I build a prototype in China?
Because now, you can. No prototype is manufacturable until you actually step a foot into factories.
- You will be close to production. This will allow you to really understand how the cookies are made from the beginning of the product development process, which for a physical product, is critical.
- You will be working with different types of engineers. In China, engineers are designing with cost constraints as a primary guide: awesome and lean. This is a very different design process than working with a product development firm elsewhere, where function is first and done regardless of price. This works for academia or fat established firms, but not for a small company trying to launch new products with real cost constraints.
- The art of the Shanzhai. There is some serious brilliance hidden in the cheap solar lamp or fake iPhone! Tap some of that genius and apply it towards other objectives.
- While you will of course benefit from the factory proximity, a group of people hear to help, peer mentoring and all, you will also experience quite a cultural shock down here :-)
- It's cheaper, and every penny counts for a startup. Here is a conservative overview of what it means on the ground:
- You will receive a crash course about China market, and maybe sell your creations there in the future.
Ready to rock?